Academics and Advising

Classes and Instruction

Classes will be offered in a variety of ways. There will be in-person courses, hybrid courses (some meetings in person), and remote (some with remote meetings and others without). A higher proportion of classes will be in-person and we'll work to meet the needs of our graduating students. You'll be able to search the class schedule to find the types of classes you want starting November 15th.

The spring 2022 class schedule, available November 15th, will include a learning mode column that specifies how the class will meet. The modalities include:

Online Asynchronous Class meets entirely online with no set day/time.
Online Synchronous Class meets entirely online at scheduled days/times. 
Hybrid (online asynchronous with occasional in-person) Class meets mostly online with no set day/time and has occasional in-person meetings. See class note for the in-person meeting days/times.
Online Bichronous (mostly online asynchronous with occasional online synchronous) Class meets mostly online with no set day/time and has occasional online meetings at scheduled days/times.  See class note for meeting days/times.
Hybrid (Online synchronous with occasional in-person) Class meets mostly online at scheduled days/times and has occasional in-person meetings. See class note for the in-person meeting days/times.
Hybrid (Combination of in-person and online asynchronous) Class meets regularly in-person at scheduled days/times and online with no set day/time.
Hybrid (Combination of in-person and online synchronous) Class meets regularly in-person and online with scheduled days/times.
In-Person Class meets in-person at scheduled days/times.
Online Bichronous (Combination of online synchronous and online asynchronous) Class meets entirely online with some scheduled meeting days/times and some with no set day/time.
Online Bichronous with Occasional In-Person (Combination of online synchronous, online asynchronous, and occasional in-person) Class meets online with some scheduled meeting days/times and some with no set day/time. The class also has occasional in-person meetings.  See class note for the in-person meeting days/times.

No, students cannot be required to meet outside of the times published in the class schedule.

If you have concerns about this, please contact the department chair for the department offering the course using the Colleges and Academic Departments page to find their contact information.

To add a class after the start of the semester, you’ll need a permission number from the instructor. Email the instructor to request permission or contact the department offering the course if the instructor is not listed in the class schedule. Please refer to the Colleges and Academic Departments page. to find the right contact.

You can also refer to the Registering for Classes page for more information.

It's good practice to check the iLearn, SF State's learning management system, for information about your current classes. Typically, iLearn information will be posted prior to the start of the semester.

For online classes, if your iLearn doesn’t have any information and you haven’t been contacted by the faculty member by the start of the semester, reach out to them directly via email.

If you do not receive a response or the name of the instructor is not list in the class schedule, email the department where the course is offered (for example for PHIL 110 you would email the Philosophy Department). Be sure to include specific information about your course including the department prefix and course number, title of the course, section number, faculty member’s name, and your name and student ID number. The department chair will assist you. Please refer to the Colleges and Academic Departments page.

Start by consulting the course syllabus and iLearn site to determine when office hours are held and how they will be offered, either in-person or online. If you're unable to locate the hours, please contact the department chair using the Colleges and Academic Departments page to find the right contact.

The AT Zoom Support Page covers the basics of Zoom, how to use Zoom in iLearn, and other additional Zoom features. Additional support is available from the Zoom Help Center.

Through iLearn, you can sign up for an online workshop sponsored by The Tutoring and Academic Support Center (TASC): Learning Online 101: How to Be an Effective Online Learner 

To support you in developing the study skills needed to be successful in remote learning modalities, TASC has launched a fully online course: Learning Online 101. You can work at your own pace through four modules, which aim to boost your confidence in learning online, equip you with the tools necessary to be a positive community member, and give you the opportunity to use the technology you will encounter in your courses. Students and faculty may self-enroll at:

In addition, please see the Keep Learning - Student Quickguide resource for assistance learning via remote modalities.


It is possible to change your grading option to CR/NC for classes that offer this grading option. It is important to keep in mind that not all classes have the CR/NC grading option. Please consult the Registrar's website for deadlines by semester.

You can view the grading option you are currently enrolled in for each of your courses in the Class Schedule section of your Student Center. Instructions on how to elect another valid grading option for any eligible course are available here. All valid grading options for the class will appear in the drop-down selection box. Not all classes have multiple grading options – some classes are offered only with a letter grade option, or only with a CR/NC grade option.

An undergraduate student who chooses to take a course with CR/NC grading, will earn a CR for a grade of C- and above and will earn a NC grade for a grade of D+ and below. A graduate student who chooses to take a course with CR/NC grading, will earn a CR for a grade of B- and above and will earn a NC grade for a grade of C+ and below. Grades of CR/NC are not calculated into your GPA and do not have a positive or negative effect on your GPA. When you earn a NC grade, this indicates that you did not pass the class. You do not receive units for NC grades.

It’s important to be sure that any class taken CR/NC will still meet your degree requirements and needed prerequisites. Some programs will only accept letter graded coursework to meet certain degree requirements. For undergraduate students, a maximum of 24 CR grade units earned at SF State can count toward your degree. Also, some programs require minimum letter grades earned to meet prerequisites that will allow you to enroll in subsequent coursework. (These limitations do not apply to coursework taken in Spring 2020.)

Advisors can help make sure your grading option meets your educational needs and goals. Undergraduate students can access advising resources through the Advising Hub. Graduate students can access advising resources with Graduate Studies (

If you are a student in one of the groups below, please consult with these offices to be sure you understand the impact of your choice to change to CR/NC grading:

Academic Resources

J. Paul Leonard Library Access

  • Access to the campus Library is available to students Monday – Thursday 8 a.m. – 10 p.m. and Friday 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. to enrolled students. For information regarding Library schedule, click here.   
  • The Ground Floor Study Commons is open with 90 desktop computers, public study space and reservable private study rooms. For information regarding reserving a private study room, click here
  • When visiting the Library Study Commons, students are required to complete a health screening, show the green dot and have their student ID.
  • In addition to the Ground Floor Study Commons, the 1st Floor Lobby is open for studying, and access to 2nd floor resources are available with require health screening (see above).


Laptop Loaner Requests

  • Students enrolled for Fall 2021 courses can request a loaner laptop for the Fall 2021 session by submitting a request the library laptop request form by clicking here.
  • For information regarding Library loaner laptops software, click here.


Internet Access Needs

  • For students having internet connectivity or access issues and think you may need a hotspot, please use the following link to access a request form. The form will guide you through troubleshooting questions to determine the nature of your internet connection issues. One of the questions it asks relates to your internet connection speed. You can run an internet speed test. Note down what your upload and download speeds are to be able to answer the questions. Remember, a hotspot provides only limited bandwidth and is often not an ideal solution to many home internet issues. 
  • If you feel you may benefit from a Hotspot, you can make a request using the "Request Assistance with Internet Access Form." Click here to access the form. 

**Below are some additional resources to help you address home internet issue or optimize your bandwidth:

The Division of Graduate Studies is operating at full capacity and the entire team is here to support you. The division has enacted a virtual plan to assist you with admission processes and questions, advising, and progress to graduation. See our website for email contact information for common questions and concerns. In addition to emailing us, you can leave phone messages at (415) 338-2234. Voicemails and emails will be answered within one business day.

You can find information about how to change your major or minor on the Registrar's website.

If you need to file a course substitution to update a major or minor degree requirement on your Degree Progress Report or an authorization to amend major/minor courses to alter a previously submitted graduation application, please email your major advisor or contact your department using the Colleges and Academic Departments page to find the contact information.

Please follow the steps on our Undergraduate Graduation website.

The Disability Programs & Resource Center (DPRC) is open for limited in-person services. Please see our announcements page for more information. Virtual services will continue from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday to Friday. General inquiries can be directed to; employee accommodations inquiries can be directed to

Yes, the bookstore will be open for in-person shopping and services. For more information, please check the Bookstore’s website.

SF State is a model of a diverse and inclusive university. Across the country and beyond, we have seen an increase in stigmatizing rhetoric and behaviors toward Chinese and Asian American communities, an increase that Professor Russell Jeung, chair of the Asian American Studies Department, has commented on in nationally broadcast interviews. At this time, rather than acting out of fear and ignorance, SF State will respond with compassion, knowledge, and justice. As with all viruses, there are things we can do to protect ourselves and one another. Please respect one another as we protect our collective health and stand in solidarity with those who are ailing and those on the frontlines fighting this illness.

Counseling and Psychologyical Services (CAPS) remains open and operational with adjusted services. In accordance with California laws, we are currently only able to provide remote counseling to students residing in the state of California. If you would like to schedule a phone or video appointment with us, please call CAPS at 415-338-2208 during business hours (9 a.m. to 4 p.m.; closed noon to 1 p.m.).

Advising and Tutoring

Professional academic advisors in the college-based resource centers, the Educational Opportunity Program, and the Undergraduate Advising Center are available to assist students in-person and remotely.

All freshmen and undeclared students will have an assigned advisor in the Undergraduate Advising Center.

Sophomores, juniors, and seniors with declared majors can be referred to their college-based resource center for advising.

Students can make advising appointments by accessing Navigator, SF State's student success platform. Virtual drop-in advising hours are also available and can be viewed on the center websites.

Yes! Students can make advising appointments by accessing Navigator, SF State's student success platform.

If you need major/minor advising, please go to your major/minor department's website to find details about how to connect with a faculty advisor. You can reach out to the general department email if you do not see specific advising information on the department's website. Note - if you are student majoring in the Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, please reach out to the Lam Family College of Business Student Success Center for advising.

As an SF State student, you have access to free tutoring and academic support services, which are currently offered in-person and remotely. Undergraduate students can schedule a tutoring appointment for writing support or help with a specific subject by logging into Navigator. They will then be prompted to sign in with their SF State ID number and password. Students should refer to our guide for scheduling a tutoring appointment if they have questions. Graduate students can access tutoring by filling out a request form with the Tutoring and Academic Support Center. You can find more information about tutoring services and links to SF State’s learning support programs on the Tutoring and Academic Support Center’s website.

Learning Online 101: How to Be an Effective Online Learner
As we continue with predominantly online learning for spring 2021, students may be interested in developing their online learning skills. They can access Learning Online 101, a self-paced workshop developed by the Tutoring and Academic Support Center and offered through iLearn. The workshop allows students to work at their own pace through four modules, boosting skills and confidence with learning online. Students, faculty, and staff can self-enroll by clicking on this link and then logging in. For questions, please email



Hours and available spaces can be found at

Learn more about current library resources and services at